What is Dulce de Leche?
The Cafe Frappé originated in Greece and was made with instant coffee. The Dulce de Leche Frappé features a caramel syrup from Argentina, and this frozen treat has since evolved from its origins in Greece to give you an afternoon shot of espresso. The 10% cream and caramel syrup make this delicious drink a must have at pool parties.
Dulce De Leche Recipe
- 1 cup cream 10%, or vanilla ice cream
- 1/2 cup Dulce de Leche syrup
- 3 oz Espresso
- 3 cups Ice
- Scoop two tablespoons of dulce de leche from the half cup and set aside
- Add espresso, cream, and ice to a blender, pulse until smooth
- Spoon into glasses
- Drizzle remaining dulce de leche on top of the frappe
- Serve immediately
The espresso for this drink should be made fresh. Alternatively, you can make a cold brew coffee to keep in the fridge and make Frappé all week long! To make a cold brew; use cold filtered water in a four to one ratio with coarsely ground coffee. Place in a french press and ensure the coffee is fully saturated with the cold water. Cover the french press with foil or saran wrap and place in the fridge for twelve to fourteen hours. When it’s ready, use the plunger and substitute the cold brew for the espresso in this recipe.
For the Dulce de Leche Frappé, cream or vanilla ice cream will create a creamier more decadent drink, but if you are calorie and/or dairy conscious a substitute like skim milk or cashew milk works well. Mild-flavored milk alternatives such as soy milk and almond milk work well, while a coconut milk may alter the flavor substantially, in a good or bad way depending on your preferences. If you are a fan of coffee syrups, you may already have butterscotch on your shelf. Butterscotch works well as a substitute for the dulce de leche. It has a brown sugar and buttery base with caramelized notes that add depth to the syrup in a way that is similar to dulce de leche.
Delce De Leche Syrup Recipe
- 4 cups milk
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla syrup or extract
- Combine all ingredients in sauce pan and stire
- Bring to boil, reduce to simmer and let sit unconvered, while stirring occasionally to avoid building up a layer
- When the mixture is caramelized and thick (roughly 90 minutes), add vanilla syrup